Welcome to Back Road Soul Puppies! We are excited that you stopped by! We are proud to raise Pembroke Welsh Corgis, Toy Australian Shepherds, Toy Aussiedoodles, Old English Sheepdogs, Sheepadoodles, and English Golden doodles.
We have been raising puppies for 13 years and take pride in our babies and have been blessed with meeting so many wonderful families over the years.
We are situated in southern Iowa where all of our dogs get to enjoy the country life. Our dogs and puppies are indeed a part of our family and we are grateful that our 5 children get to grow up surrounded by the love and adventure puppies provide .. we can guarantee you that the puppies have excellent play dates;)
1. We do ship puppies via American Airlines Cargo quite often, I've never had any puppies not arrive safe and healthy. Honestly I feel it is better for the puppy than a 3rd party ground transporter. Shipping is $450-$600 with the larger puppies being more due to weight and kennel size, we have shipped lots of puppies over the years and they have always arrived happy and ready to play!
2. We do offer Flight Nanny services!! Most of our families choose this option. We fly in cabin with your new baby and meet you at your airport. The cost is typically around $1650 and includes the nanny and puppy ticket and of course non-stop care and loves along the way!
3. We will meet you at the DSM airport if you choose to fly in and take your puppy home on a flight!
4. We will drive up to 3 hours 1 way for $110 an hour.
5. I do feel comfortable sending some sturdy, hearty breeds via puppy transport vans. I will not send Tiny toys like my young poodles or aussiedoodles for sure. They have different schedules and areas that they service so your area may or may not be an option. The puppy is in a crate and cared for along the way, they do not get them out because as breeders we know there are diseases that we do not want our puppies exposed to.. there is shredded paper in their crates and that helps keep them clean. The vans do not stop in order get the puppies home as quickly as possible. They could be arriving to your area at any time during the day or night. The driver calls you around 12 hours or so prior to their arrival and let you know what public place you will be meeting. Depending on the location and company that services your area the cost is usually around $375-$600
Puppies will be examined by a veterinarian before they leave. They will be given a health certificate that become a part of their puppy pack that goes with them.
During an exam one thing the vet will check for is an umbilical hernia. It is not at all uncommon for any breed of puppy to have one because their abdominal wall is very thin at this young age. They are not anything to be concerned about, it means there is tiny bit of fat that slips past the abdominal muscle. I do have the vet fix them and they do have a couple stitches for a few days. It does not cause any sort of future issues.
It is a fact that socializing a puppy is most crucial between the ages of 3 -12 weeks. This is when they learn to recognize love and affection, appropriate play, body language and so on. We take this responsibility very seriously and give everyone of our puppies the attention they need to become healthy, interactive members of their new future families. Each puppy is played with everyday, they run with our young children in the yard, they ride in their big wheel cars with them, they play with puppies from other litters, they crawl over our other adult dogs. They hear the television a good part of the day they follow us around during chore time, they lay in our laps and cuddle, they get their bellies rubbed, they meet strangers, they hear/experience thunderstorms, they are introduced to new toys, different textures to walk on laying on the floor, they are given regular baths and towel dried. These are all very simple BUT CRUCIAL experiences for a puppy to have during this time of development. They will be happy adults that welcome whatever life has in-store for them!
EARLY NEUROLOGICAL STIMULATION IN THE NEW BORN PUPPY
I use what is called the "Super Dog Method" It was developed for our military to make war dogs super aware of their surroundings in the battlefield. It is a program that starts at 3 days of age and last until they are 19 days old. Specific stimulations are used to make the puppy's brain recognize all aspects of its body. This technique leads to healthier, smarter, more well-adjusted dogs. I would love for you to read the following article on this program, I truly believe in it!
There are many different opinions on when to vaccinate and what to vaccinate with.
We have consulted with some of the top veterinarians in the country who have developed vaccinations themselves and who are also dog breeders. They have guided us in developing a rigorous vaccination and worming program that ensures the health and best possible immunity of our puppies .
We are licensed breeders with the USDA, certified with the state of Iowa and inspected annually by a DVM, The AKC, Puppy Spot and the American Humane Society. We are a small kennel and strive for excellence in the areas of health and socialization.
reputable dog breeder in iowa
Hey everyone! This is Melissa and I would love to take a minute to tell you about our family and the love we have for producing our amazing puppies..
I was born loving all animals and I was even planning on being a vet at one point in my life. Needless to say life happened and I instead graduated with a B.S. in Animal Science and a Masters in Biology. After working as a biologist and in the education field for several years I decided I wanted to shift my focus more to my family and our passion for our puppies. I now get to be home with my little ones and enjoy the "dog life" with them:) I get to be the mommy, biologist, "vet" and animal lover I have always dreamed of every second of every day! I consider myself to be very blessed.
WE ARE A LOUD, HANDS-ON FAMILY WHO HAS EMBRACED EVERY ASPECT OF RAISING HEALTHY, HAPPY PUPPIES.
I spend lots of nights staying up with expectant mothers, hours and hours are spent on paperwork, a good chunk of our day consists of cleaning, sanitizing, and vaccinating to ensure the best possible start for our puppies. I have an excellent care team including my little sister and some great friends that dedicate their love and attention to each and every parent and baby. We are very grateful that our 5 children share our love for animals. The 3 youngest spend their time playing, cuddling and creating the greatest adventures with the puppies:) As a mama I'm so happy that my older 2 girls are here at 8am to help get the puppies off to a great start for their day and attend to all of their needs with love xoxoxo
Visits are by appointment only for serious families.